You are welcomed to the Admissions Unit of Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike. A Unit dedicated for Transparency and Quality Service.
The Undergraduate Admissions Unit was formally under the control of Ac ademic Affairs Unit but came into existence as an independent Unit in August, 2011.
Presently admissions are through the Joint Admission And Matriculation Board [JAMB] and the Post Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination [PUTME] screening exercise used through the Central Admissions Processing System [CAPS] which was started in 2015 Admission session. The full implementation was in 2018/19 Admission year.
The Admission Procedure was such that JAMB kept strickly to the schedules reeled out during the 2018/19 Policy Meeting.
The office welcomes all fresh and old students for the 2018/19 academic session.
It is primarily saddled with the responsibility of processing admission for qualified candidates into the various academic programmes offered by the University, using the prescribed rules and regulations.
· Admission into Michael Okpara University, Umudike, Abia State is of two types ie
Through Direct Entry and UTME (Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination) Entry.
· The Direct Entry mode of entry is for applicants who desire to enter into 200 or 300 levels of study, depending on their grade qualification. The entry qualification for Direct Entry admission include:- possession of ‘A’ level certificate from a recognized body, National Certificate of Education (NCE), National Diploma (ND) and Higher National Diploma Certificates (HND). The candidates are expected to purchase a Direct Entry Form and do an on-line registration on the website of Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
REGULARIZATION OF ADMISSIONS
This is an aspect of the responsibilities of the Admissions Office. Certain candidates wangle their way into the admission status. The circumstances may not be explained here hence it is categorized under irregular admissions.
Admissions Office has a window through which such admissions are regularized using by a certain form issued by JAMB called “indemnity” form which allow the candidates to down load and print the form. The form is filled and submitted for endorsement after which it is sent back to JAMB for the regularization process.
· The Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME):
This is a qualifying examination for entry into the 100 level course of study in the University. The examination is conducted by the JOINT Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and the applicants are expected to score a minimum of 180 out of the 400 marks for the examination based on the JAMB cut-off mark
· Admissions Requirement:
The candidates are expected to possess the minimum five credits school certificates ‘O’ level requirement based on their courses of study.
These results must be obtained from an approved examination body like:- West African Examination Council (WAEC), National Examination Council (NECO) and National Business Technical Examination Body (NABTEB).
· The Unit Coordinates the entire activities of the Admissions process fairly through University’s Admissions Board. Michael Okpara University announces the commencement of its admissions through both Internal and External Advertisement vis Newspaper, University website and University Official Bulletin.
· The Unit verifies the Results of the newly admitted students with all the examining bodies.
· Processing and conducting matriculation ceremony for all fresh students.
· Responsible for the provision of information on admissions to the University Senate and Management.
· The Unit liaises with JAMB on behalf of the University on all matters relating to admission regulations and policies.
· The Unit is responsible for processing the admission of the University’s Affiliated Institutions and the Continuing Education Centre (CEC).
· The Unit is responsible for the provision of admission statistics for Colleges/Departments in the University for official use during each admission year.