A WOMAN OF MANY FIRSTS
*First Female Professor of Statistics in Nigeria and First Female Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration) of Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike
A. PROFESSOR JOY CHIOMA NWABUEZE is a Professor of Statistics and a Lecturer at Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike. Her lecturing career took off at Department of Statistics, Federal University of Technology, Bauchi immediately after her M.Sc graduation. This was short lived as she moved over to Abia State University, Uturu in 1988 following her marriage.
Professor Joy's academic records point to the fact that she actually was
divinely destined to be the first female Professor of Statistics in Nigeria.
She studied Statistics at the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) where
she bagged her first and second Degrees in Statistics and has garnered
many FIRSTS in the course of her studies and Teaching, Administration and National Assignments. From her primary school education through secondary to University till she became a Professor, Professor Joy set a record of FIRSTS. In her secondary school at Atta Girls Secondary School Ikeduru, Imo State, she was always taking the first position from class one to class five. In her mock examination before her West African School Certificate Examination, she took first position in all the nine subjects she offered except in Commerce where she had 82% while the best student had 83%. Hence the adage in her school was “unless there is no Joy, where there is Joy, Joy is always the best”
1. FIRST (BEST) M.Sc. Student of Statistics, Department of Statistics, UNN in 1987 for which she bagged the award of Jamie Brooks Memorial Scholarship.
2. FIRST female PhD holder of the Graduates of the Department of Statistics from either UNN or any other University in Nigeria. She obtained her PhD in Statistics from the University of Ibadan in 2000.
3. FIRST Female to receive a Distinguished Honours Award by the Department of Statistics of the UNN on the 30th Anniversary of the Statistics Department as the first female PhD holder of the graduates of the Department since its establishment.
4. FIRST Associate Professor of Statistics at Abia State University Uturu (ABSU).
5. FIRST Professor of Statistics in Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike
6. FIRST Acting Head of Department of Statistics at ABSU from 2000-2001.
7. FIRST Dean of College of Physical and Applied Sciences of MOUAU from 2013-2016
8. FIRST to be celebrated at the 37th Annual Statistics Conference held at Uyo, Akwa Ibom State in 2013 by the Nigerian Statistics Association (NSA), as the first female Professor of Statistics in Nigeria after more than forty years of possible existence of Department of Statistics in Nigerian Universities.
9. First Female Professor of Statistics in Nigeria
10. FIRST Female Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration), Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike. 2016- date
1. NAME: Prof. Joy Chioma NWABUEZE
2. PLACE OF BIRTH: Emii-Owerri
3. STATE OF ORIGIN: Imo
4. NATIONALITY: Nigerian
5. MARITAL STATUS: Married & blessed with five
6. CURRENT POSITION & CONTACT ADDRESS: Deputy Vice Chancellor,
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia State, Nigeria.
7. PERMANENT HOME ADDRESS: Nwabueze’s Compound, Umuehi, Mgbidi, Oru West Local Government Area.
8. CURRENT PROFESSIONAL STATUS: First female Professor of Statistics in Nigeria
9. E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
10. Tel: +2348068164190; +2348035422843
11. NEXT OF KIN: Prof. Nwabueze, Titus Ugochukwu
DEAN, College of Applied Food
Sciences & Tourism, Michael
Okpara University of Agriculture,
C. FAMILY PROFILE:
Professor Joy Chioma Nwabueze, who hailed from Emii town in Owerri North LGA of Imo State, is married to Professor Titus Ugochukwu Nwabueze, a native of Mgbidi in Oru West LGA of same Imo State, a Professor of Food Science and Technology, Former Deputy Dean, Postgraduate School; University Desk Officer, Nigeria Sustainable Development Solutions Network and currently, the Dean, College of Applied Food Sciences & Tourism of the same University. Professor Joy Nwabueze’s marriage is blessed with five (5) children.
D. UNIVERSITY EDUCATION, DEGREES OBTAINED AND DATES
(1) University of Nigeria, Nsukka, BSc (Statistics) 1984
(2) University of Nigeria, Nsukka, MSc (Statistics) 1987
(3) University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria, PhD (Statistics) 2000
E. ACADEMIC AWARDS AND DISTINCTIONS
(1) Nwabueze, J. C. (1987). Award of Jamie Brooks Memorial Scholarship as best graduating MSc Student, Department of Statistics, University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
(2) Nwabueze, J. C. (2003). Distinguished Honours Award by Department of Statistics University of Nigeria, Nsukka on the 30th Anniversary of the Department as the First Woman PhD Graduate in the Department since inception of the University and Department. .
(3) Nwabueze, J. C. (2013). Honoured at the 37th National Conference held at Uyo, Akwa Ibom State by the National Statistics Association (NSA) as the First female Professor of Statistics in Nigeria.
F. FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION & RESEARCH INTEREST
(ii) Multivariate Analysis
(iii) Mathematical Statistics
Professor Joy Chioma Nwabueze has published over 60 research works including books in numerous peer-reviewed journals. She has supervised not less than 8 PhDs, 20 MScs and numerous first Degrees.
H. CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS:
Professor Joy Chioma Nwabueze has also attended many local and
International Conferences and Workshops, where she made presentations on
varied topics in Statistics.
I. MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS:
Professor Joy Chioma Nwabueze is an active member of many Professional Organizations including:
i. Fellow: Nigerian Statistical Association
ii. Member: International Biometric Society.
J. CONSULTANCY SERVICES TO UNIVERSITIES/ORGANIZATIONS:
Professor Joy Chioma Nwabueze has been a visiting Lecturer to many
Universities and Ministries including:
1. Ministry of Economic Planning, Sokoto during her NYSC.
2. Business Statistics, Institute of Distance Learning, Federal University of Technology, Owerri and University of Calabar
3. Consultant, National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) for Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey, in collaboration with UNICF
4. NBS/World Bank Data launch of General House Hold Panel Wave.
5. Delegate to National House of Assembly to defend CISON Bill for Nigerian Statistical Association.
K. EXTERNAL EXAMINATIONS TO VARIOUS NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES
Professor Joy Chioma Nwabueze has also served as an External Examiner to various Nigerian Universities including:
1. University of Calabar, Calabar. Cross River State.
2. Cross River State University of Technology,Cross River State.
3. Federal University of Petroleum Resources Effurum
4. Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka. Awka. Anambra State
5. University of Port Harcourt. Port Harcourt. Rivers State.
6. Rivers State University of Science & Technology. Port Harcourt. Rivers State.
7. Federal University of Agriculture. Makurdi. Benue State
8. Imo State University. Owerri. Imo.
9. Ebonyi State University. Abakaliki. Enonyi State
10. University of Uyo, Uyo. Akwa Ibom State
11. Abia State University, Uturu, Abia State
12. Unversity of Benin,Edo State.
13. University of Ibadan, Oyo. Oyo State
14. Federal University Ndufu-Alike Ikwo, Ebonyi State
15. Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State
L. EXTERNAL PROFESSORIAL ASSESSMENTS TO UNIVERSITIES
Professor Joy Chioma Nwabueze has been External Assessor for Professors and Associate Professors to many Universities including:
1. University of Calabar, Calabar. Cross River State.
2. Federal University of Petroleum Resources Effurum, Edo State.
3. Rivers State University of Science & Technology. Port Harcourt. Rivers State
4. Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
5. University of Uyo, Uyo. Akwa Ibom State
6. Abia State University, Uturu, Abia State
7. Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa State.
8. Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State
M. COMMUNITY SERVICES:
Professor Joy Nwabueze’s activities were not limited to the world of academia, but also extended to her community where she used her time in serving the Lord in various capacities.
i. She was the leader of Charismatic Women League, Charismatic Renewal Ministries, Umuahia. Abia State.
ii. Representative, Abia State National Charismatic Women Prayer Team
iii. Staff Adviser, Charismatic Students Fellowship, ABSU
iv. Visioner/Coordinator, Agbama Women Neighbourhood Prayer Force.
v. Member, Officers’ wives’ Association, Fullgospel Business Men’s
Fellowship International, Executive Chapter, Umuahia. And others
N. CHALLENGE TODAY: Prof. Joy Chioma Nwabueze looks forward as her Ultimate life target to be more relevant in Nation building and mentorship to the young and upcoming youths especially females.
O. RELEVANT AREAS IN NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT:
i. NATIONAL PLANNING
ii. NATIONAL BUREAU OF STATISTICS
iii. NATIONAL POPULATION COMMISSION
iv. WORLD BANK ASSISSTED PROJECTS