The Dean’s Office is the administrative headquarters of the College. It is headed by a Dean.
History of Deans of CNREM
a. Prof. A. E. Akachuku – (1994 – 2002)
b. Prof. Roy C. Mbakwe – (2002 – 2004)
c. Dr. Anthony I. Okeke – Acting Dean ( 2004 – 2006)
d. Dr. Emmanuel C. Nzegbule – Acting Dean (2006 – 2008)
e. Dr. Anthony I. Okeke – Acting Dean (2008 – 2010)
f. Dr. Anthony A. Nlewadim – Acting Dean ( 2010 – 2012)
g. Prof. Michael Dike – Dean (current Dean)
The College of Natural Resources Environmental Management (CNREM) was one of the pioneering Colleges of Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike at its inception in 1994. It was conceived to co-ordinate teaching and training as well as research and extension services. In doing this, CNREM advances knowledge and develops manpower in the fields of natural and aquatic resources as well as forestry, wild life and environmental management.
As approved by Senate of the University, CNREM offers a five-year programme and awards Bachelor’s degree in Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Management (B. FISHARM); Forestry and Environmental Management (B. FOREM) and Environmental Management and Toxicology (B. EMT). Thus, the College has three (3) academic Departments through which these programmes are run, namely:
a. Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Management (FISHARM)
b. Department of Forestry and Environmental Management (FOREM)
c. Department of Environmental Management and Toxicology (EMT)
These Departments have well-articulated curriculum for teaching. They also have different units and laboratories for practical training in support of classroom teaching thereby giving students an all-round experience in line with the mandates of the College.
CNREM is a Centre for Training and Excellence. The College also prides itself as a centre for creativity and innovation in Forestry and Environmental Resources Conservation as well as Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Management. The training offered is aimed at maximizing capability for self-employment and entrepreneurship in food and fibre as well as in environmental conservation and management. Towards this goal, the College mobilizes and sensitizes immediate and neighbouring communities in its location in Umudike, and indeed the entire south-east agro-ecological zone of Nigeria, to ensure enhanced management and productivity of forest, fisheries and other environmental resources on a sustained yield basis.
The objectives of the College of Natural Resources and Environmental Management include:
- the development of appropriate units of excellence in forestry and wild life, fisheries and aquatic resources and other natural resources as well as environmental conservation and management
- production of sound and innovative graduates, who can also make major breakthroughs capable of transforming the economy and the unfriendly environment of the nation, thereby enhancing the quality of the lives of our people
- the training of students for self-employment, entrepreneurship, academics, public and private sector employment;
- optimal utilization of available resources and facilities;
- encouragement and advancement of learning functional, sustainable forestry, fisheries, natural resources and environmental management to all interested persons without any discrimination
- encouragement of income generation for the College through consultancy and other services;
- thorough and effective research and extension in forestry, fisheries, natural resources and environmental management according to local, national and international needs.