I welcome you to the Council Affairs Unit of the Registry Department, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike (MOUAU). The Council Affairs Unit carries out the following responsibilities:
1. Co-ordination of all activities of Council.
2. Preparation for Council/Council Committee Meetings, clerking of proceedings and developing of Minutes of such meetings.
3. Preparation of Matters Arising, Decision Extracts and Action Letters.
4. Preparation of the Annual Report of the Unit.
5. Control, supervision and co-ordination of all human and material resources in Council Affairs Unit.
6. Any Other duty assigned by the Registrar/Secretary to Council or the Vice-Chancellor.
The present Governing Council is led by Rt. Hon. Mohammed Lawal Zayyana as the Pro-Chancellor/Chairman of Council. It was inaugurated at Abuja by the Visitor, President Mohammed Buhari GCON, who was ably represented by the Honourable Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu on 9th May, 2017.
The present Council was preceded by the Prof. Anya O. Anya led Council whose tenure expired on February, 2017. The present Council is made of the following Membership:
1. Rt. Hon. Lawal M. Zayyana – Pro-Chancellor – Chairman
2. Mr. Victor Mayomi – Rep. FMA&RD – Member
3. Mr.Fashina Kayode Julius – Rep. FME – Member
4. Dr. Nelson O. Amanze – Member
5. Ibrahim Abubakar Liman – Member
6. Alhaji Lanre Daibu – Member
7. Prof. K.W. Bukar (MON) – Member
8. Mr. John Ikpegbu – Rep. Convocation/Alumni – Member
8. Prof. Francis O. Otunta – Vice-Chancellor – Member
9. Prof. Madu O. Iwe – DVC (Academic) – Member
10. Prof. Joy C. Nwabueze – DVC (Administration)- Member
11. Prof. Victor I.O. Ndirika – Rep. Senate – Member
12. Prof. Jude A. Mbanasor – Rep. Senate – Member
13. Prof. Johnbull O. Echeme – Rep. Senate – Member
14. Prof. Benedict C.E. Mbam – Rep. Senate – Member
15. Prof. Ike Mark Nwachukwu – Rep. Congregation Member
16. Mrs. Ugochinyere Herbert – Rep. Congregation – Member
17. Jacinta N. Ogwo-Agu (Mrs.) – Registrar/Secretary to Council
It had its Inaugural meeting on 23rd May, 2017 and its first Emergency meeting from 19th – 21st June, 2017. During the meeting, Council conducted an interview for the appointment of the next substantive Registrar/Secretary to Council. At the end of the interview, Mrs. Jacinta Nkemejina Ogwo-Agu emerged as the next Registrar/Secretary to Council.
The Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Francis O. Otunta attended his first Statutory Meeting of Council on 8th April, 2016. On assumption of duty on 1st March, 2016, the Vice-Chancellor requested and got Council’s approval for two Deputy Vice-Chancellors (Academic and Administration). Subsequently, Prof. Joy C. Nwabueze emerged as the 1st Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration) while Prof. Madu O. Iwe is the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)hence their membership as Council Members.
1. Finance and General Purposes Committee (F&GPC)
2. Appointments and Promotions Committee (A&PC)
3. Council Committee on Budget/Project Monitoring and Evaluation
4. Council Committee on Physical Planning and Works
5. Council Committee on Staff Discipline (CCSD)
6. Town and Gown Committee
7. Council Committee on University Demonstration Schools
8. Council Committee on Continuing Education Centre
9. Council Committee on University Investment
10. University Bookshop Board.
The recommendations of the above Committees and any other Ad-hoc Committee assist the Governing Council in taking critical decision(s) and disposal action(s) in any matter brought before it respectively.